The Onkaparinga Trail Run 2021, which is race three of the Adelaide Trail Runners Summer Series, is taking place on Sunday 21 February through the beautiful Onkaparinga River National Park, supported by council’s Healthy Active Lifestyles Onkaparinga (HALO).
This is the first time the event is being held in Onkaparinga, and there are three different courses on offer to cater for runners of all abilities, as well as a free 500-metre Little Legends race for kids.
The races (nine kilometres, 15 kilometres or 21 kilometres) depart from Piggott Range Road, Clarendon, and City of Onkaparinga residents receive a $5 discount on the entry fee. Head to the Adelaide Trail Runners website for more information and to register.
Fast-forward to April (9-11) and South Australia’s premier running event, the Leconfield Wines McLaren Vale Marathon, is headed to town, also incorporating a half-marathon, 13km and 6km races, and a free kids’ run, with options for runners and walkers alike.
Presented by Great Southern Runs, this year’s event also features the City of Onkaparinga Mile—a 1.6-kilometre fun run, giving everyone the opportunity to join in and get active.
With a focus on participation and inclusion, the Mile is perfect for kids and athletes with a disability, and carers, guides or parents are welcome to accompany their runners around the course.
Head to the Great Southern Runs website for more information, including on the event’s extracurricular activities, such as the movie night, presentations and post-race party at Leconfield & Richard Hamilton Wines.
Finally, South Australia’s premier half-marathon, the Great Southern Half Marathon (also presented by Great Southern Runs), is headed to Aldinga Bay on Sunday 16 May, also offering 10km and 5km races, with options for both runners and walkers.
City of Onkaparinga Mayor Erin Thompson says the events offered residents and visitors perfect opportunities to keep healthy and active while experiencing Onkaparinga’s charming townships and vistas.
“I’d urge anyone looking to keep fit in 2021 to give one of these events a go,” she says.
“There’s something to suit everyone, whether you’re a walker, a child, an athlete with a disability, you’re looking to start your running journey, or you’re a seasoned marathon pro.
“Our towns and suburbs offer an incredible diversity of scenic roads, trails, parks and tracks, and it’s great to see these events building on our credentials as a premier running and cycling destination.”
Other options to keep healthy and active in the City of Onkaparinga include:
- OUTFIT Onkaparinga – free group exercise sessions outside in a welcoming environment with a personal trainer, various times and locations (including Hackham West, Port Noarlunga, Seaford and Flagstaff Hill)
- Recreation centres – jump-start your training by visiting one of our four recreation centres for swimming, group fitness or court sports
- Parkrun – a free weekly 5km timed community group run or walk, with groups at Aldinga Beach, Christies Beach, McLaren Vale, Moana and Reynella East
- Heart Foundation Walking – a free community initiative using local volunteer walk organisers to lead small groups of people on walks in their local area
- Heritage walks – small guided history leisurely walks that promote significant local history.