City of Onkaparinga approves zero rate increase in draft budget
Council approved City of Onkaparinga’s draft Budget 2020-21 for community engagement at last night’s meeting, incorporating a zero per cent rate revenue increase (excluding growth).
City of Onkaparinga Mayor Erin Thompson says the decision responds to the impacts of COVID-19 and comes in the wake of a range of relief measures already introduced in April.
“We’ve worked hard to identify new savings and deliver a draft budget to help ease the financial strain on our ratepayers.
“We’ve also aimed for a draft budget that is reflective of our residents’ expectations and needs, delivering essential services and stimulus projects for our strong, vibrant communities.
“The draft $224.3 million Budget 2020-21 will help council deliver more than 200 services and projects to more than 170,000 residents.
“We’ll be investing in our city and stimulating our local economy with $45.3 million in capital projects including:
- Constructing the Witton Bluff Base Trail
- Upgrading Christie Downs’ Morton Road Reserve
- Implementing the Wilfred Taylor Reserve Masterplan
- Redeveloping the Port Noarlunga Sports Complex (subject to external funding)
- Upgrading Aldinga Sports Park in partnership with the federal government
- Upgrading Port Noarlunga’s Wearing Street Arts and Aquatics Precinct (subject to external funding)
- Upgrading Hackham South East road and stormwater infrastructure amid new residential development.”
Community engagement on the draft Budget 2020-21 is scheduled to commence from 3-24 June via City of Onkaparinga’s Yoursay page.