With the impacts of a changing climate already being felt in southern Adelaide, it’s more important than ever for each of us to do what we can to reduce our impact on the environment.
Thankfully, doing your bit doesn’t have to be difficult. In fact, studies show making efforts to live more sustainably can make you a happier person, not to mention saving you money in the process.
Enter our Sustainable Spring workshops, kicking off on Saturday 7 September and running through to November.
A partnership between Sustainable Onkaparinga, Aldinga and Willunga Libraries and the Willunga Environment Centre, the 13 diverse and interactive workshops can also help you learn new skills, reduce your carbon footprint and meet likeminded people.
“What’s great about these workshops is that they’re hosted by local and inspiring experts in their fields in an intimate setting,” says City of Onkaparinga Sustainability Project Officer, Tracy Fulton.
“You’ll leave with newfound skills and the ability to make small changes at home that make a big difference.”
Among the 13 workshops are:
- An organic market garden and home veggie patch tour with Aldinga locals Dani and Sam (Folk of all Trades), who turned their garden into a backyard farm (7 September) – SOLD OUT
- A one-on-one energy bills explained workshop, where an energy expert will guide you through changes you can make to reduce your energy bills at home (12 September)
- An introduction to home composting (14 September – part of National Organics Week)
- A workshop on how to create your own quick, easy and low-weight natural hiking meals without using plastic packaging (14 September)
- A sustainable food panel featuring local producers, farmers and native food custodians (25 September)
- A beginner’s guide to beekeeping (28 September)
- A family-friendly ‘discover nature by night’ guided walk at Wirra Creek (3 October)
- A workshop with Magic Little Meals author Tori Arbon on how to turn your garden produce into delicious food (12 October)
- A natural homes and biophilic design workshop, guiding you on choosing and caring for indoor plants and the benefits of natural fibres (19 October)
- A festive gift making workshop on how to make environmentally friendly gifts for friends and family ahead of the festive season (2 November)
Peruse the entire Sustainable Spring schedule here.
Scenes of Aldinga couple Dani and Sam's (Folk of all Trades) property and produce.